nundah districts historical society loving local lost brisbane railway train station historyAbove: Sandgate bound train pulling into Nundah Station in 1910 (Lost Brisbane)

The railway line between Brisbane (Roma Street) and Sandgate was opened by Governor Sir Arthur Kennedy on the 10 May, 1882.

The first steam train consisted of 10 carriages and left the station at 9.35am. It stopped at Bowen Park, Albion, German Station (Nundah), Nudgee, and arrived at Sandgate at 10.15am, making the journey in forty minutes. After that time, eight trains ran on the line each day between 7.15am and midnight.

The building at German Station (Nundah) was a weatherboard box- like construction with a sloping iron roof, incorporating a waiting room, goods room, and office. A water tank nearby serviced the steam trains.

nundah districts historical society loving local brisbane railway train station historyAbove: Train approaching Nundah Station (Nundah & Districts Historical Society)

A Telegraph Office was opened at the station shortly after the opening of the station. From 2 October, 1882 to 13 November 1883, the Station Master, Mr A. E Oxenham, took charge of the post office at the station. The Queensland National Bank had an agency on the Nundah platform from 1888 to 1893. Records in 1899 show Mr Oxenham as Railway Station Master, Telegraph Manager and also Savings Bank Officer.

A signal box built in 1890 was retained until 1982 when new signaling was controlled from Mayne Junction. A rail siding to a large goods shed existed on the north-western side of Nundah station until the early 1950’s, opposite the line to the signal box.

In 1960, a new brick station was erected, and later additional alterations made to accommodate electrification, which was completed in 1982.

nundah districts historical society loving local brisbane railway train station historyAbove: Where the main road passes through Nundah, 1921 (State Library QLD)

The original bridge over Buckland Road rail crossing was built in 1890. The Sandgate Road rail crossing, what is now Toombul Station, had rail gates operating until 1924 before an overhead bridge was completed. In about 1978 that bridge was replaced with a four-lane bridge to give greater clearance for electric trains.

It can be said the railway was the biggest single factor in bringing settlers to Nundah and aiding its development.

Nundah & Districts Historical Society Inc. | 3260 6703 |