The Kalinga Reserve was officially opened on 3 September 1910, with more than 400 locals in attendance. At that time, horses and cattle grazed on the pasture, but over the years, many improvements have been made.
The honour gates at the entrance were the fundraising efforts of the Kalinga Progress Association and the local Ladies Patriotic Club. The opening was on 23 October 1920 and the gates would serve to remember the men who enlisted from the Kalinga district and fought for their country.
Diggers Drive was opened in the park as a memorial to the district’s soldiers who did not return after WW1. The unemployed returned servicemen were given work and built a winding path and planted trees. In WW2, the park was used as a staging camp. Troops passing through the camp would have numbered 1,000 to 3,000, according to the size of the drafts required.
On 3 July 2007, Kalinga Reserve was listed on the Queensland Heritage register.
On 21 August 2019, Brisbane City Council held a rededication ceremony, with the park renamed Kalinga Memorial Park. Considerable improvements to the park have been made, including playing fields, a large playground, barbecues, bike path, dog park and more.