The Nundah Bypass Tunnel is celebrating 20 years since opening in late 2001.
For many years, the local community and business owners of Nundah struggled with the traffic congestion through the business centre in Sandgate Road. For 35 years, ideas and suggestions were debated, until a long-awaited decision was made in 1997 to create a road tunnel under Bage Street to divert traffic away from the suburban centre.
Resumption of property started in 1999, with 11 properties demolished to make way for the two-way, six-lane tunnel.
Major works started in 2000, with the 285m tunnel finished at a cost of $53 million. The community was invited to walk through the tunnel on completion, with certificates given to those in attendance on the day.
The tunnel was renamed the George Bridges Tunnel in 2009 after a campaign by Nundah and Districts Historical Society President, Denis Clearly. George Bridges (1820-1898) was a prominent landowner in Nundah and is regarded as the founder of the Nundah business centre.
Photos provided by the Nundah & Districts Historical Society Inc.