A chapter of Queensland’s history stands in the shade of a Poinciana tree at the northern entrance to Nundah Village.
Built of local white granite, the monument has stood in place since 1938 when the community of Nundah celebrated 100 years since missionaries arrived in the area.
In 1838, Dr John Dunmore Lang brought 10 young missionaries from Berlin on the ship “Minerva” to work among the Indigenous Australians of Moreton Bay and to teach them about Christianity.
It was on a hillside, part of the area we know today as Walkers Way that they built their primitive cottages and named the area Zion Hill.
These missionaries were frustrated in their effort to impart their teaching of Christianity to the Indigenous Australians, so after four years, they abandoned their mission and turned to farming. The farming area became known as German Station before becoming Nundah.